Before you dive into tools- take this class to understand how wood is processed, what qualities are desirable for particular applications, and how to understand project plans.
You will learn about the characteristics of wood and how to identify them including grain, hardness, figure, durability along with other qualities to keep in mind while purchasing wood. No tools are used in this class.
- Get a feel for different wood types & their properties
- Selecting the right wood for your project
- Learn to read project plans
Make your own statement piece! Learn to build and upholster your very own footstool with Sarah Campbell owner of Sit Buffalo, a small business resident of The Foundry.
Things You Will Learn:
- How to web and properly pad and cushion an upholstery project
- Material options and techniques for upholstery
- How to make upholstered buttons
- Sewing by machine and hand
**Fabric needs to be supplied by the student (1 yard of upholstery fabric is required. Please contact Sarah at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions)**
This project is for you, and it is important that you love what you are making! Tools, cushioning/padding, and all other hardware and materials will be provided.
Class price includes 5 hours of instruction and a finished footstool to take home. It's recommended that you bring some snacks or a full lunch with you for a midway 20 minute lunch break.
Class Cost: $100 (all materials included EXCEPT fabric)
Class Size: Min 3/ Max 6
Ages: 16+ with parent permission
2 Day Hardwood Cutting Board Class for Beginners
103a: 9/21, 6:00-9:00pm
103b: 9/22, 6:00-9:00 pm
In this 2 part class you will make a beautiful 11" x 15" hardwood cutting board from a variety of woods in The Foundry's shared woodshop.
- Using the table saw, planer, joiner, router, and sander
- Strategies and techniques for gluing and clamping
- How to choose the appropriate finish for your project
- How to match wood properties to suit your project
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time and lift 25 lbs.
- Must be 18 years old, 16+ with signed waiver.