During afterschool hours, the TextileLab is used by students focusing on the basics of STEAM sewing, 'Sew Electric' projects using sensors and circuits, and operating cnc vinyl cutting equipment. At night and on weekends, our textile lab is available for Open Maker Hours and Adult DIY Classes.
Equipment (includes, but is not limited to):
- Cricut Maker (2)
- Janome sewing machines (8)
- Singer sewing machine for project using upholstery weight fabrics
- Looms - that need some warping if you have the time and inclination!
How to Access
- Everyone must enroll in a textile lab orientation prior to using any equipment in our shop - youth, maker businesses, and you!
- Make a Donation. We offer Open Maker Hours for our supporters and donors! We believe that cost shouldn’t be a barrier to makerspace access. Instead of imposing expensive monthly fees, we’re opting instead for a pay-what-you-can model. Your donation will keep our makerspaces open to the community, offset staffing costs, cover maintenance, and secure the upkeep of our building to create the inclusive and welcoming atmosphere of our shared spaces. Click here to make a donation and become a supporter of The Foundry.
- Notify Staff & Schedule a Visit. In order to get started, contact The Foundry staff. (Email: [email protected].) Staff will confirm your donation, note your completed safety class or orientation session, and then you will receive information about the process for signing up for time blocks during Open Maker Hours.
TEXTILE LAB OPEN MAKER HOURS (starting July 19th, 2021)
- Monday 6-9 pm
- Saturday: 10-2 pm
Planning for your Visit
- Members need to sign up in advance for makerspace hours during the times listed using our reservation system.
- You must book 8 hours in advance. This gives the supervisors a heads up of who to expect.
- Time slots are first come, first serve.
- You can book slots up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Must be 18 or older to attend independently, but youth as young as 14 may access our textile lab with parent/guardian supervision.
We’re looking forward to adding more Adult programming based on member interests. We’d love to hear from you. Email [email protected] and tell us what kind of programming you would like to see in the Textile Lab. Some examples:
- Crochet and Knitting circles
- Making drop spindles
- Recycling Night - reusing and repurposing for wearables, fashion and the Fiber Arts
- Setting up community projects using our large Standard Looms - preparation for multiple-harness weaving
For more information please contact us by email at [email protected].