During the day, the 1000sq ft metalshop is used by students in our workforce development programs. At night and on weekends, our shop is available for Open Maker Hours and Adult DIY Classes in basic metalworking. The instructors who teach our youth and adult programs have experience in fabrication, welding, craft and art. Our volunteer supervisors who oversee Open Maker Hours have decades of collective experience.
Equipment (includes, but is not limited to):
- Angle grinders
- Anvil + Forge (work in progress)
- Bead roller
- Downdraft tables and welding stations
- Drill Press
- Horizontal band saw
- Metal chop saw
- MIG welders
- Miscellaneous clamps and hand tools
- Plasma cutter
- TIG welder
How to Access
- Everyone must enroll in a metal safety orientation prior to using any equipment in our shop - youth, maker businesses, and you! Scholarships are available for income-eligible participants.
Make a Donation. We offer Open Maker Hours for our supporters and donors! We believe that cost shouldn’t be a barrier to makerspace access. Instead of imposing expensive monthly fees, we’re opting instead for a pay-what-you-can model. Your donation will keep our makerspaces open to the community, offset staffing costs, cover maintenance, and secure the upkeep of our building to create the inclusive and welcoming atmosphere of our shared spaces. Click here to make a donation and become a supporter of The Foundry.
- Notify Staff & Schedule a Visit. In order to get started, contact The Foundry staff. (Email: [email protected].) Staff will confirm your donation, note your completed safety class or orientation session, and then you will receive information about the process for signing up for time blocks during Open Maker Hours.
Metalshop Open Maker Hours (starting July 19th, 2021)
Planning for your Visit
- Members need to sign up in advance for makerspace hours during the times listed above though our reservation system.
- You must book 8 hours in advance. This gives the supervisors a heads up of who to expect.
- Time slots are first come, first serve with a limit of 4 users per session.
- You can book slots up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Must be 18 or over to use the metalshop.
For more information please contact us by email at [email protected].