During the day our students, maker businesses and partner programs use this 1400sq ft woodshop to learn about the basics of woodworking, fabricate products for sale and volunteer to create community projects.
At night and on weekends, our shop is available for Open Maker Hours and Adult DIY Classes. Our volunteer supervisors who oversee Open Maker Hours have decades of collective experience.
Equipment (includes, but is not limited to):
- Berlin Machine Works 12” jointer with an 8’ bed
- Delta 12” jointer with helical cutter head
- SawStop Table Saw - 3HP with 52" T-Glide Fence System
- 5HP Powermatic Table Saw
- DeWalt 10" sliding miter saw
- Jet 18" band saw (1 1/2 HP, 6" resaw capacity)
- Circular saws + hand saws
- Planer: Delta 15” and portable planers
- Oscillating/spindle sanders
- 16-32 Jet Drum Sander
- 4” stationary belt sander
- Random orbital sanders
- Kreg Router Table Setup with Porter Cable Router
- Numerous other standard woodshop equipment, such as drill presses, air compressor and nail guns, hand tools, dozens of clamps, and over 100 router bits
How to Access
- Everyone must enroll in a woodshop safety orientation prior to using any equipment in our shop - youth, maker businesses, and you! Check out our list of classes to sign up. Scholarships are available for income-eligible participants - email [email protected] to apply for a scholarship.
- Make a Donation. We offer Open Maker Hours for our supporters and donors! Cost shouldn’t be a barrier to makerspace access. Instead of imposing expensive monthly fees, we’re opting for a pay-what-you-can model. Your donation will keep our makerspaces open to the community, offset staffing costs for shop and labs, cover maintenance, and secure the upkeep of our building. Together this creates the inclusive and welcoming atmosphere of our shared spaces. Click here to make a donation and become a supporter of The Foundry.
- Notify Staff & Schedule a Visit. In order to get started, contact The Foundry staff. (Email: [email protected].) Staff will confirm your donation, note your completed safety class or orientation session, and then you will receive information about the process for signing up for time blocks during Open Maker Hours.
Woodshop Open Maker Hours (starting July 19th, 2021)
Monday: 6-9 pm
Planning for your Visit
- Supporters need to sign up in advance for Open Maker Hours during the times listed above though our reservation system.
- You must book 8 hours in advance. This gives our volunteer supervisors a heads up of who to expect.
- Time slots are first come, first serve with a limit of 4 users per session.
- You can book slots up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Must be 18 or over to use the woodshop.
For more information please contact us by email at [email protected].