Digital Fabrication Specialist and Makerspace Coordinator (Part-Time)
Join us to support the next generation of makers in our community-based makerspace! The Foundry is seeking a Digital Fabrication Specialist and Makerspace Coordinator to instruct students on the use of computer assisted design tools and to maintain equipment in our shared facilities. If you dream of access to a CNC machine, 3D printers, a waterjet cutter, laser engravers and many other digital fabrication tools, and you’re the kind of person who is constantly iterating on designs, solving issues, and identifying systematic and organizational solutions, then imagine what you could do working with us at The Foundry!
This opportunity includes supporting day to day operations in our 5 makerspaces (wood, metal, tech, textile, and digital fabrication). This staff member will be responsible for ensuring safe operating conditions, coordinating material/tool acquisitions, and supporting students in two 18-week Certified Production Technician programs annually. This is currently a 30 hr/week position, with the potential to grow to full time. Looking to hire for December/January.
Work closely with our Directors to ensure all educational programming can function successfully within the makerspaces. Programming includes but is not limited to:
- Community Classes (general adult classes, Walk-in Wednesdays)
- Youth Classes (3 hr classes, CPT program, after school programs)
- Instruct students in use of computer assisted design tools (CPT certification)
- Coordinate with approximately 30 makerspace supervisors + instructors
Create regular ordering/maintenance schedules for makerspace consumables,
materials and tools
Perform regularly scheduled maintenance on equipment, troubleshoot to repair
broken equipment and collaborate with Building Committee as needed
Create and implement proper safety protocols and student safety orientations
Oversee proper cleaning of shared facility with Volunteer Coordinator
- Ability to work some evenings and occasional Saturdays
Experience and Qualifications:
- Experience in machine maintenance
- Basic knowledge of various trades and relevant hands-on experience
- Experience working within diverse, urban environments
- Enthusiasm for teaching others
- Excited about learning new technologies, systems and processes
Proficiency in design software for creating both models and simple vectors and
willingness to learn other packages - including but not limited to VCarvePro,
Fusion360, Illustrator, Inkscape.
Knowledge and Skills:
A desire and ability to relate to and continue learning about growing
occupational fields, relevant equipment and emerging products
Must be self-disciplined, driven, able to demonstrate initiative, and maintain
- Must be attentive to details, persistent, and personable.
- Ability to work well within a team environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Must have up to date drivers license and vehicle.
- Ability to communicate via email and use online booking software
To apply please send resume and cover letter to Megan McNally, Director at email@example.com.