Director of Youth Business Development/FoundryMade Manager - Full Time (Posted February 2021)
Description: As a key member of The Foundry’s team, this position will have the exciting challenge of formalizing the business structure and workflows for our emerging social enterprise, FoundryMade. As the primary business liaison, the person will implement a marketing and sales program developed to deliver items to our community partners and explore new avenues of revenue. In addition, they will be part of the team that supports the day to day operations of our makerspaces (woodshop, metalshop, textile and technology), produces items for sale, and coordinates material and tool acquisitions. They will collaborate with the Education Director in co-developing entrepreneurial curriculum and supervise hired students graduating from our education programs into FoundryMade. This position will work closely with Foundry leadership to develop FoundryMade’s programmatic success.
- Work closely with other staff to develop, implement and manage a social enterprise at The Foundry
- Work closely with other staff to align entrepreneurship and skills-based curriculum to the needs of FoundryMade
- Manage students hired for FoundryMade program, work with Foundry management on payroll, HR, etc.
- Ensure proper materials and tools are on-site to consistently fulfill FoundryMade orders
- Produce FoundryMade items when students are unavailable during non-program times
- Communicate with team of instructors and volunteer supervisors to make sure regularly scheduled maintenance and repair on equipment is happening in the shared makerspaces
- Work in partnership with The Foundry staff to guarantee all aspects of the sales process for FoundryMade products are handled professionally and expertly
- Implement follow-up activities so all sales inquiries are identified, scheduled, completed and documented
- Utilize management software on a daily basis to capture key data as appropriate
- Act as FoundryMade liaison with local companies and partners on product requirements and orders
- Work closely with the management team to maximize FoundryMade revenue
- Relevant job experience in running a business and/or bachelor’s degree in position-related field
- Skills in small-scale computer-aided-manufacturing, woodworking, metalworking, textiles, or tech
- Basic awareness of machine maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to youth development and education
- Strong and polished interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Creative, strategic and analytical thinker with the ability to manage multiple projects
- Experience developing and managing budgets, hiring/training, supervising and assessing personnel
- Must be highly organized and self-motivated
- Knowledge of Google Drive Suite and database management
- Committed to supporting a diverse community, able to work positively and inclusively with participants of different ages, races, gender, economic status
- Interest in collaboration and design thinking
- Flexible; possessing the ability to wear “different hats” on short notice
This is a full-time position. The position includes a healthcare stipend; includes staff vacation, sick leave, personal days and paid holidays.
The Foundry seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter, examples of past work and references to [email protected].
If this position does not fit, please check out our list of volunteer opportunities if you are interested in getting involved with us. Thank you!