Students explore career options in woodworking, metalworking, and maker-based technologies located in our shops and labs.
Making + Manufacturing
We partner with The Service Collaborative of WNY and WNY YouthBuild and other workforce development agencies to offer an semester-long training focused on small-batch manufacturing. Students learn the basics of metalworking and digital fabrication, operating equipment and testing for ToolingU-SME certification for Certified Manufacturing Associate. Working alongside Buffalo Niagara Partnership, students are placed in 4 week internships with area employers.
This program is generously supported by United Way of Buffalo & Erie County
We work with students from WNY YouthBuild and OLV Human Services as well as youth in our summer programs. Students develop different skill sets and build pathways towards potential careers by collaborating on projects that are placed out in the Buffalo community. We celebrate all completed projects - benches, trellises, planters and other items - with on-site ribbon-cutting events to recognize student success and the work achieved.
Each year we select a small number of proposals to construct for the community. If your organization would like to collaborate with us on developing a student-designed and fabricated project, please start the process by getting in touch with us at [email protected].
Some projects students have completed:
- Little Pantries for Feed Buffalo
- Little Libraries for neighborhood organizations
- Game/picnic table for BRRAlliance, Dearborn Street Community Garden
- Glass and restored metal tables for outdoor dining at the Northland Workforce Training Center
- Construction of new incubator spaces for on-site entrepreneurs at The Foundry
- Mobile market carts for The African Heritage Food Co-op and Groundwork Market Garden
- Benches, a trellis, and a giant Adirondack chair for the Outer Harbor
- Blue bike racks for sites around Buffalo
- Garbage receptacles, signs, and planters for local community gardens
- Outdoor seating for WEDI’s Grant Street office
To learn more contact [email protected]